I am still working my way through the bible from cover to cover, (thanks to a useful bible reading app on my phone). The first section of books in the old testament, give the historical account of the Jewish people, I have recently been reading about them leaving Egypt, being disobedient and not trusting God, for them to go through a long period of ignoring God, sinning, needing to be helped by a king/judge/mighty warrior, as soon as that person died, they returned to their wicked ways!
This scenario reminds me of what Mr Incredible says “Being a super hero, I feel like the maid, I just cleaned up this mess, can you not keep it clean for 10 minutes!”
God must have unending patience! Having to anoint different men, convince them that they are good enough to rule, guide, lead his people, forgive them when they mess up and then he had to start all over again when that one passed away!
He sent Jesus as the final sacrifice (must have had enough of all the aromas from the burnt meat! Guessing he’s not a fan of barbeques?!) Jesus, gave all of us a new way to live, so we no longer have a need for an inspirational warrior/judge/king, as the Holy Spirit within us has enabled us to be inspired by God’s word, the wisdom to make the right judgement but the authority (where the buck stops!) belongs to God!
I keep hearing songs about acknowledging God’s majesty and bowing down to him, and then I get a vision of being one of an innumerate crowd just kneeling in front of his throne with Jesus at his right hand! I imagine this would be like being at a performance Handel’s Messiah, when the “Hallelujah Chorus” starts and everyone in the opera hall stands up, but infinity times better!
There is part of me that cannot wait to be in heaven, the other part of me knows I still have things to do on earth, I am reminded of the book “the shock of your life”, where some young people go up to heaven and it describes their experiences and reactions to what they discover! The first things that happen to us when we get to heaven, according to the book are:-
- “Is your name on the list?” -The book of life, the names of those that God has called to serve him are in there!
- All your lifes work has been recorded (thoughts & deeds), but then all of that is burnt up, anything of worth (things that have shown ghod’s glory and been for his kingdom) is turned into a golden crown!
- You go to enjoy an amazing banquet and worship God forever with a host of others!
At my baptism, we sang:-
“I will offer up my life in spirit and truth, Pouring out the oil of love, as my worship to you In surrender I must give my every part Lord, receive this sacrifice of a broken heart
Jesus, what can I give, what can I bring To so faithful a Friend, to so loving a King? Savior, what can be said, what can be sung As a praise of Your name for the things You have done? Oh, my words could not tell, not even in part Of the debt of love that is owed by this thankful heart
You deserve my every breath, for You’ve paid the great cost Giving up your life to death, even death on the cross You took all my shame away, there defeated my sin Open up the gates of heaven and have beckoned me in”
When we realise all that God has done, all that Jesus death actually means, then we cannot but desire to respond somehow, Deuteronomy 10:12-16 says
12 Now, people of Israel, listen to what the Lord your God demands of you: Worship the Lord and do all that he commands. Love him, serve him with all your heart,13 and obey all his laws. I am giving them to you today for your benefit.14 To the Lord belong even the highest heavens; the earth is his also, and everything on it.15 But the Lord’s love for your ancestors was so strong that he chose you instead of any other people, and you are still his chosen people.16 So then, from now on be obedient to the Lord and stop being stubborn.
That is what God requires! Stop being stubborn (yes I have to stop too! 😦 ) and do what he commands, we need to read his bible as much as we can to find out what that is, serving him wherever we go (if you want to be great, you need to learn to serve! Jesus said it himself!)
Proverbs 12 verse 3 says – “Wickedness never brings stability, but the godly have deep roots.”
When we are busy doing our own thing and not God’s, we don’t create anything lasting,
- we will worry about our money if we store it up and be greedy! and it can be burnt/stolen or lost!
- If we spend all our time wishing and pining for things others have we will miss the blessings we have got and may get!
- Being apathetic and spending all our time on frivolous things, most likely wont get us anywhere! Not many skaters/gamers become professional! “Not doing” is as bad as “doing bad”!
- Being proud and not being willing to “lower yourself” to the level where you deem others to be, will help no-one!
- Anger is not always helpful, unless its against injustice and inequality, being angry is ungodly, and will only make you feel worse!