Can February March?
No, but April May!
Since Donald J. Trump has taken his place as President of the USA, people all over the world have marched through their cities in protest, I asked someone who I know is a mother and a Christian, wondering whether if there was a better way for women to get their point across? She replied that she didn’t march because she had to work and look after her kids all of whom have special needs.
If she had marched it would have been FOR equal rights and equality in all aspects of life for women! I finally understood where she was coming from, some of the tweets she was sharing were from interviews women have had basically asking:-
- Are you married or single?
- Are you planning on getting pregnant any time soon?
- What will you do if your child is sick?
Now, those questions are rarely given to male applicants and shouldn’t even come into the interview process! I can understand that if a small business is employing a female and then that female gets pregnant, calls in sick, due to morning sickness and then takes a year off on maternity leave, possibly even quitting at the end of that year it is not the most ideal situation for the business owner. But also men will rarely get asked those type of questions as cavalier as it sounds, we are rarely left “holding the baby”, if you boil it down some men just consider their role in parenthood is providing half the DNA however it happens and then the woman is “stuck” with the tiny human growing within their own bodies!
I know that every relationship is different, they often break down, it isn’t always clear cut who is at fault, occasionally it is mainly down to the behaviour of one individual in the relationship being unreasonable, abusive and/or battling with an addiction which ruins their lives. There are more and more relationships where one “party” or even both “parties” are suffering with mental conditions like depression, anxiety or something that makes them view themselves in a way that isn’t true like anorexia or body dysmorphia.
The bible was written in a time when societies were very patriarchal, so a lot of the bible is written and translated in a way which appears to perpetuate the idea of male superiority. Yet Jesus and the bible also elevate women to important roles! Because of Ruth’s love for her mother-in-law, she was the ancestor of David, who in turn was the ancestor of the Lord Jesus! Esther was used to protect her people from being harmed as she was placed as queen in the court of King Xerxes.
In my entire working life, there has only been one job where I haven’t had a female in a supervisory role over me. Being a parent and a youth worker, I can see the importance of good role models for children and young people, I look at my parents and my siblings and see that we have “turned out quite well“.
Despite what match.com and other dating sites try to make you think, complete compatibility is not what you need in a partner, you need someone who “completes you” someone who has and is some of the things you are not! My wife is a go-getter, her motto is the same as Nike’s “just do it!” she cannot stand the committees and discussions that people have before they step out, she just does and then learns from her mistakes! I am more of a thinker, I should step out more but I am always (over-)analysing things.
I do however get angry at my fellow males who need a good slap or a big wake-up call! I know i have my failings but seriously how on earth can you:-
- Moan about someone delivering a donated appliance to replace your broken one, and not lift a finger to help in moving it into place?
- be able to drive and refuse to take YOUR partner to the shops or town to get what she needs for YOUR kids?
- Spend money on buying sports gear, when your kids are barely able to eat.
- Spend loads of money on christmas presents, when your children’s mother has not got a Cooker to heat the christmas dinner in?
We are no longer in the 1950’s, roles for genders have changed, my wife has so much more experience in a particular role that she could earn more than me if she went to work and I stayed at home (although a large chunk of that would disappear in transportation costs). Some parents are in the position that they have no choice but for them both to be at work!
Single parents do an amazing job, i know of one mum that has three teenage kids, one with special needs, yet she has a job and makes time to work out! I know of other mums that have children with special needs yet they make sure all their children have all they need!
I look around and can understand why some feminists may feel the need to not require a man’s input other than his “seed” but that just shows the twisted understanding and failures of males to step up and be “men”, not aggressive neandarthals but good examples of responsible fathers, caring & supportive partners and hard working individuals!
Mothers do a lot statistics like this regularly appear at this time of year
Mother’s Day job values index
|Mother’s job description||BLS Occupation Title||Hours Per Year||2016 median hourly wage||2016 median annual earnings||2015 median hourly wage||Change compared to LY||Mom’s 2016 annual earnings|
|Taking care of the kids||Childcare worker||2080||$10.75||$22,360.00||$11.10||-3.2%||$22,360.00|
|Summer activity planner||Social director||480||$18.20||$37,856.00||$18.68||-2.6%||$8,736.00|
|Helping with homework||Teacher/ instructor||400||$20.43||$42,484.00||$19.30||5.9%||$8,170.00|
|Driving||Taxi driver/ chauffeur||468||$14.63||$30,420.00||$12.12||20.7%||$6,844.50|
|Cleaning up||Maid/ housekeeping cleaner||520||$10.18||$21,164.00||$10.00||1.8%||$5,291.00|
|Shopping for the family||Personal assistant||156||$11.03||$22,932.00||$10.63||3.8%||$1,719.90|
|Planning parties||Meeting, convention and event planner||64||$21.00||$43,680.00||$24.53||-14.4%||$1,344.00|
|Fixing up the house||Designer||40||$23.48||$48,843.08||$23.27||0.9%||$939.20|
|Finding out what the kids are up to||Private detective||40||$21.08||$43,836.00||$25.91||-18.6%||$843.00|
|Yard work||Grounds maintenance worker||52||$11.73||$24,288.00||$12.95||-9.4%||$609.70|
|Nursing wounds||Licensed nurse||24||$18.43||$38,324.00||$18.43||0.0%||$442.20|
|Hair stylist||Hairstylist and cosmetologist||26||$11.58||$24,076.00||$11.90||-2.7%||$300.95|
Mom’s total earnings: $65,522.65
Four mothers close to me are just a few of the incredible examples of motherhood there are:-
- My mum- always there when we need her, she cares a lot for her children and grandchildren. She is generous and is passionate. She managed to create such an environment in her music class in a rough boys school that they respected her and one boy felt remorse when he felt he let her down! She is awesome!
- My big sister- acted like a second mum, has such a generous spirit, cares a lot, despite having to remain in hospital following the birth of her baby, she is fighting against PTSD and “baby blues”, she is one of the most loving people i have ever met!
- My sister-in-law- is always willing to help, is a really caring person! In her capacity as a midwife, she delivered all three of our children, she was like a mother to my wife and works non-stop to support her family and even makes time to help at a counselling centre for women struggling with their pregnancy, miscarriages at the same time as training to be an accredited counsellor!
- My wife- obviously a very inspiring woman! She has a big heart for mothers and families in need! She spends 4 out of 5 mornings doing something to support the mothers in our community. Our children have one of the best mums they could ever imagine! I know I could never afford to pay someone to do all the things she does for me and my chidren but I do appreciate it and no doubt fail to show her enough how much!
I know this is very late to post but I wanna encourage mothers out there, that you are doing an amazing job, you deserve more credit, more reward and more recognition than the world gives you! All your children can ask is that you try your best to make time to spend with them as that is what they will remember!
Males need to get a grip, show your appreciation to the females who are supporting you and caring for your offspring, give them some respect and don’t treat them like a slave or something disposable! Remember if you have a child, treat their mother the way you would want someone to treat your mother or your daughter!